Restoration of Historic Brown – Watkins House, 217 College Street Oxford, NC :
The object of this restoration is to restore this grand Colonial Revival Home back to its 1901 appearance when originally built, but with the functionality and amenities of today’s fine homes.
The home will be restored with guidelines set by Preservation North Carolina.
- All plaster walls have been removed to allow for complete rewiring, plumbing, heating and air.
- Heart pine flooring throughout will be replaced in some areas and all floors restored and refinished.
- Reconfiguring spaces will allow for master baths with soaking tubs and showers and walk-in closets on first and second floor.
- A screened porch will replace existing round room at the rear of the house.
- Space changes on the second floor will consist of master bedroom and bath and 2 additional bedrooms with private baths.
- New kitchen to have custom cabinetry, granite countertops, top of the line Delta plumbing fixtures, and top of the line stainless appliances.
- New bathrooms will have custom cabinetry, granite countertops and top of the line Delta plumbing fixtures.
- A ½ bath on the first floor will have a vintage lavatory.
- Completed layout will consist of living room, dining room kitchen with morning Room and dining nook, 4 bedrooms 4 and ½ baths and screened porch, with a total of approximately 3700 square feet heated living space.
- An added feature of the home is a double garage built in the 1970’s with an apartment over the garage including a kitchen and bath. This space needs only clean up and paint.
- Plans are to landscape the 400 – foot deep lot as it was originally, based on plans found in photographs in the house.